Deutsche Bank
Non-Financial Report 2017

Deutsche Bank

Non-Financial Report 2017

Eco-Efficiency Tables

close window

Eco-Efficiency Tables

GHG Emissions1

in t of CO2e (unless stated differently)

Variance from previous year (in %)

Dec 31, 20172

Dec 31, 20163

Dec 31, 20153

1

Total emissions are based on actual, estimated, or extrapolated data. All assumptions and calculation methodologies are in line with the ISO 14064 Standard Guidelines with supporting documentation. The most appropriate emission factors have been used for each activity data type, from internationally recognized sources, e.g. DEFRA (2016 and 2017), GHG Protocol, eGRID, and IEA (2016), RE-DISS (2016) or if more relevant, from country or contract specific sources. The factors include all GHGs where possible and the gases' Global Warming Potential as per the IPCC assessments.

2

Data reported under 2017 relates to the period Oct. 1, 2016 to Sept. 30, 2017. Q4 2016 is used to represent activity of Q4 2017, with an uncertainty of +/- 5% across all KPIs (excl. water +/-10%).

3

Previous-year data is reviewed annually and error corrections are applied if necessary. To better reflect the use of company-owned vehicles for business travel, the methodology was reviewed and updated historically, excl.distance traveled for private use.

4

Emissions from liquid fossil fuels decreased in 2017, largely driven by a reduction in diesel use in Germany.

5

Emissions from HFCs decreased in 2017. The decrease is in the expected range factoring in maintenance work conducted.

6

Emission factors from IEA for electricity were used for the countries where DB operates (except for the US where the eGRID factors were used). The former set of factors is only available in metric tons of CO2, while eGRID factors are specified in CO2e. However, as the proportion of non-CO2 GHG emissions is minute compared to CO2, we are reporting all emissions from electricity in CO2e.

7

Emissions from rented vehicles and taxis has reduced, largely driven by a reduction in spending on taxis in Germany and India.

8

For 2017, carbon neutrality was accomplished by the purchase and retirement of verified emissions reduction units.

9

All floor area metrics use an annual average derived from Oct 2016 to Sept 2017 data (3.486 million m2).

10

All FTE metrics use an annual average for 2017 (98,262).

11

Calculated electricity and heating intensities are used to estimate electricity and heating demand where data is not available. Calculated intensities from refrigerant gas loss are also used to extrapolate where data is not available.

12

Total energy consumption in gigawatt hours comprises all sources used in Scope 1 and 2: natural gas, liquid fossil fuels (mobile and stationary), renewable and grid electricity, district heating, cooling, and steam. Standard joule to kWh conversion factors were used. There is no sale of electricity, heating, cooling, or steam.

 

Energy consumption reductions achieved in offices total 10.8 GWh from 149 initiatives (these saving are in-year, i.e. a saving completed in June only gets 6 months of saving towards 2017). In branches the reduction was 0.7 GWh from 39 initiatives (these saves are annualized, i.e. a saving completed in June counts for the entire 12 months of 2017). The types of energy included in the reductions are electricity, district cooling, district heat, natural gas. These totals exclude saving made in the Postbank portfolio.

Total Market based GHG emissions1

(6.07)

226,769

241,432

244,592

Market based emissions from building energy use

(6.09)

146,063

155,531

150,024

Emissions from business travel3

(3.24)

76,969

79,546

90,862

Scope 1, direct GHG emissions

(9.61)

53,190

58,847

50,305

Natural gas consumption

(4.63)

31,444

32,971

27,504

Liquid fossil fuels24

(24.52)

742

983

1,405

HFCs35

(41.21)

3,736

6,355

3,705

Owned/leased vehicles

(6.86)

17,268

18,539

17,691

Scope 2, indirect GHG emissions

(6.33)

113,877

121,578

121,116

Market based emissions from electricity consumption6

(5.43)

73,685

77,912

83,937

Steam, district heating and cooling

(7.95)

40,193

43,665

37,179

Scope 3, other indirect GHG emissions

(2.14)

59,701

61,007

73,171

Air travel5

0.12

55,984

55,916

67,423

Rented vehicles and taxis7

(34.78)

2,378

3,646

4,428

Rail travel

(7.27)

1,340

1,445

1,321

Emissions reductions

N/M

0

0

0

Off set of market based GHG emissions by retirement of high-quality carbon certificates8

0

100

100

100

Market based GHG emissions (incl. renewables, excl. carbon credits)/rentable area per sqm9

0

0

0

0

Market based GHG emissions (incl. renewables, excl. carbon credits) per FTE10

(3.35)

2

2

2

Total energy consumption in GJ7

(1.70)

3,579,174

3,641,101

3,710,868

Total energy consumption in GWh8

(1.68)

994

1,011

1,031

Electricity consumption in GWh

(5.32)

570

602

609

Energy from primary fuel sources (oil, gas, etc.) in GWh9

(5.46)

173

183

176

Delivered heat and cooling in GWh

(8.00)

184

200

166

Electricity from renewables in GWh

(5.33)

462

488

494

Space-normalized energy consumption in kWh per sqm

(0.696)

285.200

287.200

272.700

FTE-normalized energy consumption in kWh per FTE

1.231

10,118.000

9,995.000

10,325.000

Distance Travelled

in km (unless stated differently)

Variance from previous year (in %)

Dec 31, 2017

Dec 31, 2016

Dec 31, 2015

1

Domestic and international air travel is derived from 99.6% of actual flight data; the remaining 0.4% is extrapolated based on cost. Air travel uses GHG Protocol emissions factors. No radiative forcing factor is applied. Although there has been an intermittent travel ban, an increase in long-haul flights has led to a small increase in emissions from air travel.

2

Rail travel is derived from 96.6% of actual rail travel data; the remaining 3.4% is extrapolated based on cost.

3

Taxi data reported includes data for countries based on cost, and is calculated using a country level taxi tariff. For the UK, the UAE, the Czech Republic, and the Russian Federation, actual distance traveled and fuel data is used. Road travel uses DEFRA (2016 and 2017) emissions factors.

Total distance travelled

(1.74)

662,956,314

674,663,076

782,091,474

Total air travel1

0.01

506,247,191

506,218,268

609,585,770

Short-haul air travel

(0.30)

21,021,459

21,084,036

23,180,278

Medium-haul air travel

(4.15)

61,931,538

64,615,405

74,140,705

Long-haul air travel

0.66

423,294,193

420,518,827

512,264,786

FTE-normalized travel in km per FTE

2.98

5,152

5,003

6,106

Total rail travel2

0.65

44,631,811

44,343,789

43,648,162

Total road travel3

(9.69)

112,077,313

124,101,018

128,857,543

FTE-normalized total distance travelled in km per FTE

1.200

6,747.000

6,667.000

7,834.000

Waste and Paper

in t (unless stated differently)

Variance from previous year (in %)

Dec 31, 2017

Dec 31, 2016

Dec 31, 2015

1

Waste data including the disposal method and hazardous/non-hazardous split has been determined by information provided by the waste contractor. Waste data is extrapolated based on FTEs from Germany, the UK, the US and twelve other countries, covering 60% of FTEs. Waste data does not include project waste, e.g. from refurbishments.

2

In 2017, a reduction in waste produced from sites within Germany has driven the decrease in total waste, mainly in recycled waste.

3

Waste incinerated (with and without energy recovery) has decreased in 2017, largely driven by the decrease in waste generation from Postbank sites.

4

Copier paper data (“materials used” in GRI G4 reporting terminology) is extrapolated based on consumption per FTE from 17 countries covering 76% of FTEs.

5

A reduction in the number of printers, print pooling, and behavioral change among staff has contributed to a reduction in paper use. A lower percentage of paper purchased in 2017 was from recycled paper. We continue to purchase paper originating from sustainably managed forests.

Waste

 

 

 

 

Waste disposed1

(12.13)

9,714

11,055

9,328

FTE-normalized waste disposed in t per FTE

(9.091)

0.100

0.110

0.090

Waste produced2

(11.86)

22,265

25,260

26,671

FTE-normalized waste produced in t per FTE

(8.000)

0.230

0.250

0.270

Waste recycled3

(11.65)

12,551

14,206

17,343

FTE-normalized waste recycled in t per FTE

(7.143)

0.130

0.140

0.170

Waste recycled in %

0

56

56

65

Waste composted

(3.68)

2,982

3,096

957

Waste with energy recovery3

(13.96)

5,178

6,018

6,068

Waste incinerated (without energy recovery)3

(19.21)

1,228

1,520

1,461

Waste landfilled

(22.38)

326

420

842

Hazardrous waste

(3.72)

207

215

506

Non-Hazardrous waste

(11.96)

22,046

25,042

26,165

Paper

 

 

 

 

Copy/print paper consumed4,5

(6.69)

3,194

3,423

4,089

Recycled paper5

(46.92)

198

373

863

Recycled content in %

(45.45)

6

11

21

FTE-normalized paper consumption
in kg per FTE

(3.903)

32.500

33.820

40.960

Water

in m3 (unless stated differently)

Variance from previous year (in %)

Dec 31, 2017

Dec 31, 2016

Dec 31, 2015

1

Actual water consumption data is based on meter readings and invoices. Water figures are extrapolated on a site level, based on rentable area, and refer to potable (municipal) water only.

Total water consumed (potable)1

(0.25)

2,062,159

2,067,346

1,609,581

FTE-normalized water consumption
in cbm per FTE

2.741

20.990

20.430

16.120

Space-normalized water consumption
in cbm per sqm

0.852

0.592

0.587

0.426

dfds